Contact Us

6 Deadly Foods For Dogs

We all know dogs can be extremely greedy, they are the super ‘hoovers’ of the universe. Some dogs will go the extra mile to steal or scavenge a crumb or two. Usually their illicit snacking is harmless and your dog remains fit and healthy.

We are going to highlight six of the most deadliest and dangerous foods your dog could accidentally eat, foods that will require veterinary attention.


Grapes are toxic for any dog, they can cause severe kidney failure or at its best kidney damage! Nobody is really sure why grapes have such an adverse affect on dogs but all we can say is your dog must avoid them at all cost, if eaten signs of poisoning include vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhoea and in some cases lethargy and weakness. Vet intervention may depend on the size of your dog, the amount of grapes eaten and the symptoms they are displaying.


Eaten in large quantities or regularly overtime, chocolate can be deadly. Chocolate contains a toxin called Theobromine, which is good for humans but fatal for dogs. Our advice is, if in doubt seek veterinary attention immediately to prevent the unthinkable happening to your furry friend.

Sultanas and Raisins

Like grapes these tiny fruits can be extremely toxic and if your dog has ‘hoovered’ up more than just a few he may show signs of vomiting, abdominal pain and diarrhoea, followed by lethargy and weakness. As a result seek veterinary advice immediately.


Garlic is from the allium family which includes onions, chives and shallots, there is contradictory information on the net regarding the toxicity of garlic, but as a general rule it can be fatal for dogs. Like onions garlic can cause extreme poisoning, if you notice signs such as vomiting, diarrhoea or even collapsing, your dog must seek veterinary care immediately.

Onions are particularly deadly and can cause red cell depletion so must be avoided at all cost.


The poor mushroom often gets bad press, but like humans some mushrooms are poisonous for dogs. Dogs by nature like to forage in woods and on wasteland but unfortunately its not easy for a human to distinguish a good mushroom from a poisonous one. Simple rule here is, discourage your dog from sniffing near patches of wild mushroom.

The good news is some home bought mushrooms such as button or chestnut can be nutritionally good for your dog as they are packed with vitamin D. A note of caution, like humans dogs can be allergic to mushrooms so observe your dog after eating them!


Some nuts are tolerated by most dogs such as cashews, peanuts and hazelnuts. Just like humans a dog can have a natural nut allergy so never feed even the good nuts in large quantities.

The deadly and dangerous nut is macadamia. This nut produces the same toxin found in grapes and can be fatal.



Pet Allergies

When booking our dog walking or pet sitting service please let your dog handler know if you dog has any known allergies.

Leave a Reply